On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 7:18 AM, David Cournapeau <courn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Ralf Gommers
> <ralf.gomm...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 3:02 PM, David Cournapeau <courn...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was wondering if we could finally move to a more recent version of
>>> compilers for official win32 installers. This would of course concern
>>> the next release cycle, not the ones where beta/rc are already in
>>> progress.
>>>
>>> Basically, the pros:
>>>  - we will have to move at some point
>>>  - gcc 4.* seem less buggy, especially C++ and fortran.
>>>  - no need to maintain msvcr90 vodoo
>>> The cons:
>>>  - it will most likely break the ABI
>>>  - we need to recompile atlas (but I can take care of it)
>>>  - the biggest: it is difficult to combine gfortran with visual
>>> studio (more exactly you cannot link gfortran runtime to a visual
>>> studio executable). The only solution I could think of would be to
>>> recompile the gfortran runtime with Visual Studio, which for some
>>> reason does not sound very appealing :)
>>
>> To get the datetime changes to work with MinGW, we already concluded that
>> building with 4.x is more or less required (without recognizing some of the
>> points you list above). Changes to mingw32ccompiler to fix compilation with
>> 4.x went in in https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/156. It would be good if
>> you could check those.
>
> I will look into it more carefully, but overall, it seems that
> building atlas 3.8.4, numpy and scipy with gcc 4.x works quite well.
> The main issue is that gcc 4.* adds some dependencies on mingw dlls.
> There are two options:
>  - adding the dlls in the installers
>  - statically linking those, which seems to be a bad idea
> (generalizing the dll boundaries problem to exception and things we
> would rather not care about:
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2007-06/msg00332.html).
>
>> It probably makes sense make this move for numpy 1.7. If this breaks the ABI
>> then it would be easiest to make numpy 1.7 the minimum required version for
>> scipy 0.11.
>
> My thinking as well.

It looks like it's really time to upgrade. pythonxy comes with
gfortran and a new MingW, and I cannot build scipy anymore. I don't
find an installer for the old MingW 3.5 anymore for my new computer.

(I haven't seen any problems mixing gcc 4.4 with C/C++ code like
scikits.learn against the official numpy/scipy installer versions.)

I can volunteer for testing, since it looks like I'm set up for gfortran.

Josef