On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Robert Kern <robert.k...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 15:13, Benjamin Root <ben.r...@ou.edu> wrote:
>
> > Is np.all() using np.array() or np.asanyarray()?  If the latter, I would
> > expect it to return a numpy array from a generator.
>
> Why would you expect that?
>
> [~/scratch]
> |37> np.asanyarray(i>5 for i in range(10))
> array(<generator object <genexpr> at 0xdc24a08>, dtype=object)
>
> --
> Robert Kern

What possible use-case could there be for a numpy array of generators?
Furthermore, from the documentation:

numpy.asanyarray = asanyarray(a, dtype=None, order=None, maskna=None,
ownmaskna=False)
     Convert the input to an ndarray, but pass ndarray subclasses through.

     Parameters
     a : array_like
         *Input data, in any form that can be converted to an array*.  This
         includes scalars, lists, lists of tuples, tuples, tuples of tuples,
         tuples of lists, and ndarrays.

Emphasis mine.  A generator is an input that could be converted into an
array.  (Setting aside the issue of non-terminating generators such as
those from cycle()).

Ben Root