Hi Ben,

Thanks for your prompt response.

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Benjamin Root <ben.r...@ou.edu> wrote:

>> Rather than recarrays, I just use structured arrays like so:
>>
>> A = np.array([(0, 0), (0, 0), (0, 0), (0, 0)],
>>                dtype=[('x', '<u2'), ('y', '<u2')])
>>
>> I can then do:
>>
>> A['x'][0]
>>
>> Or
>>
>> A[0]['x']
>>
>> This allows me to slice and access the data any way I want.  I have even
>> been able to use this dictionary idiom to format strings and such.
>>
>> Does that help?
>> Ben Root
>
> Sorry, didn't see that you have nested dtypes.  Is there a particular reason
> why you need record arrays over structured arrays?

It's really a matter of how much dereferencing of substructures
occurs, and how much extra typing that turns into.

A['x'][0]  -> 4 extra characters per field lookup, vs
A.x[0] / A[0].x -> 1 extra character per field lookup.

There's also an issue of highlighting -- I'd prefer x to be
highlighted in the style of an attribute, not a string, when I'm
editing source. A['x'] obviously precludes this.

I have considered normal structured arrays -- repeatedly, after being
frustrated by this recarray behaviour.

However, I'd like to achieve some kind of resolution here -- even if
it is just this unexpected behaviour being properly documented.

David