Looks like Dag forked the discussion of lazy evaluation to a new thread
 ([Numpy-discussion] ndarray and lazy evaluation).

There are actually several projects inspired by this sort of design: off
the top of my head I can think of Theano, copperhead, numexpr, arguably
sympy, and some non-public code by Nicolas Pinto. So I think the strengths
of the approach in principle are established... the big question is how to
make this approach easy to use in all the settings where it could be
useful. I don't think any of these projects has gotten that totally right.

-JB

http://www-etud.iro.umontreal.ca/~bergstrj