Hi,
Le 23/02/2012 02:24, Matthew Brett a écrit :
> Luckily I was in fact using longdouble in the live code,
I had never "exotic" floating point precision, so thanks for your post
which made me take a look at docstring and documentation.

If I got it right from the docstring, 'np.longdouble', 'np.longfloat'
are all in fact 'np.float128'.
(numpy 1.5)

However, I was surprised that float128 is not mentioned in the array of
available types in the user guide.
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/user/basics.types.html
Is there a specific reason for this absence, or is just about visiting
the documentation wiki ;-) ?

Additionally, I don't know what are the writing guidelines of the user
guide, but would it make sense to add some "new numpy 1.x" messages as
in the Python doc. I'm thinking here of np.float16. I know it exists
from messages on this mailing list but my 1.5 don't have it.

Best,
Pierre

PS : I found float128 mentionned in the reference
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/arrays.scalars.html#built-in-scalar-types
However, it is not as easily readable as the user guide (which makes
sense !).

Does the following statements mean that those types are not available on
all platforms ?
float96     96 bits, platform?
float128     128 bits, platform?