As others on this list, I've also been confused a bit by the prolific numpy
interfaces to reading text. Would it be an idea to create some sort of object
oriented solution for this purpose?

reader = np.FileReader('my_file.txt')
reader.loadtxt() # for backwards compat.; np.loadtxt could instantiate a reader
and call this function if one wants to keep the interface
reader.very_general_and_typically_slow_reading(missing_data=True)
reader.my_files_look_like_this_plz_be_fast(fmt='%20.8e', separator=',', ncol=2)
reader.cvs_read() # same as above, but with sensible defaults
reader.lazy_read() # returns a generator/iterator, so you can slice out a small
part of a huge array, for instance, even when working with text (yes,
inefficient)
reader.convert_line_by_line(myfunc) # line-by-line call myfunc, letting the
user somehow convert easily to his/her format of choice: netcdf, hdf5, ... Not
fast, but convenient

Another option is to create a hierarchy of readers implemented as classes. Not
sure if the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

Just a crazy idea - it would at least gather all the file reading interfaces
into one place (or one object hierarchy) so folks know where to look. The whole
numpy namespace is a bit cluttered, imho, and for newbies it would be
beneficial to use submodules to a greater extent than today - but that's a more
long-term discussion.

Paul