Hi,

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 7:24 PM, Travis Oliphant <tra...@continuum.io> wrote:

> On May 12, 2012, at 9:01 PM, Matthew Brett wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Travis Oliphant <tra...@continuum.io> wrote:
>>> Your thoughts are definitely the future.   We are currently building such a
>>> thing.   We would like it to be open source.    We are currently preparing
>>> a proposal to DARPA as part of their XDATA proposal in order to help fund
>>> this.    Email me offlist if you would like to be a part of this proposal.
>>>   You don't have to be a U.S. citizen to participate in this.
>>
>> What if this work that you are doing now is not open-source?  What
>> relationship will it have to numpy?
>
> Anything DARPA funds will be open source if we are lucky enough to get them
> to support it our vision.   I'm not sure the exact relationship to current
> NumPy at this point.    That's why I suggested the need to discuss this on a
> different venue than this list.    But, this is just me personally interested
> in something at this point.
>

>> It's difficult to have a productive discussion on the list if the main
>> work is going on elsewhere, and we don't know what it is.
>
> I'm not sure how to make sense of this statement.    The *main* work of
> *NumPy* is happening on this list.   Nothing should be construed in what I
> have said to indicate otherwise.   My statement that "we are currently
> building such a thing" obviously does not apply to NumPy.
>
> Of course work on other things might happen elsewhere and in other ways.
> At this point, all contributors to NumPy also work on other things as far as
> I know.

In your email above you said "Your thoughts are definitely the future.
  We are currently building such a thing.   We would like it to be
open source."  I assume you meant, the future of numpy.  Did you mean
something else?  Will there be a 'numpy-pro'? If so, how would that
relate to the future of numpy?

See you,

Matthew