On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 10:00 PM, Thouis (Ray) Jones <tho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Thouis (Ray) Jones <tho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I could look into this.  There are only ~10 places the code generates
>> this error, so it should be a pretty minor change.
>
> My initial estimate was low, but not overly so.  An initial pass at
> adding index/dimension information to IndexErrors is here:
> https://github.com/thouis/numpy/tree/index_error_info

Fabulous! I made a few comments there, but also:

> A typical result:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> IndexError: index 5 out of bounds in dimension 0

I would say "for", not "in".

"index 5" is a bit ambiguous too... people might mis-read it as the
dimension, like, "the 5th index value I gave"? Not sure how to make it
unambiguous. Maybe:

"IndexError: dimension 0 index out of bounds: got 5, size is 3"

?

> I thought it best to have erroring indices report their initial value:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> IndexError: index -15 out of bounds in dimension 0
>
> This is different from some places in the code where IndexErrors
> already had bad index and dimension information (including the maximum
> value possible for an index in that dimension).  I left these alone,
> though most of them would report that the bad index was -12 instead of
> -15.  For instance:
> https://github.com/thouis/numpy/blob/index_error_info/numpy/core/src/multiarray/mapping.c#L1640

I think this code you link to is actually correct, but yeah, it should
definitely report whatever the user passed in, or it will be a
debugging hindrance rather than a debugging help!

> Also there were a few indexing errors that were throwing ValueErrors.
> I changed these to IndexErrors.
>
> If someone could give this a cursory review before I issue a PR, I'd
> appreciate it.  I don't expect that most of these code paths are
> heavily exercised in the tests (but I could be wrong).

Perhaps the easiest thing would be to just add a test? It should be
about 1 line each per code path... or 2 if you check both the negative
and positive versions.

def test_index_bound_checking():
    assert_raises(IndexError, my_array.__getitem__, (0, 100))
    assert_raises(IndexError, my_array.__getitem__, (0, -101))
    # etc.

- N