>> C was famous for bugs due to the lack of function prototypes. This was fixed
>> with C99 and the stricter typing was a great help.
>
> Bugs are not "due to lack of function prototypes".  Bugs are due to mistakes
> that programmers make (and I know all about mistakes programmers make).
> Function prototypes can help detect some kinds of mistakes which is helpful.
>  But, this doesn't help the question of how to transition a weakly-typed
> program or whether or not that is even a useful exercise.
>
> Oh, come on. Writing correct C code used to be a guru exercise. A friend of
> mine, a Putnam fellow, was the Weitek guru for drivers. To say bugs are
> programmer mistakes is information free, the question is how to minimize
> programmer mistakes.

Bugs *are* programmer mistakes.   Let's put responsibility where it lies.   Of
course, writing languages that help programmers make fewer mistakes (or catch
them earlier when they do) are a good thing.    I'm certainly not arguing
against that.

But, I reiterate that just because a better way to write new code under some
metric is discovered or understood does not mean that all current code should
be re-written to use that style.   That's the only comment I'm making.

Also, you mention the lessons from Python 2 and Python 3, but I'm not sure we
would agree on what those lessons actually were, so I wouldn't rely on that as
a way of getting your point across if it matters.

Best,

-Travis