[Apologies for cross-posting. Please direct any replies to
pyd...@googlegroups.com.]

I'm pleased to announce the first release of Patsy, a Python package
for describing statistical models and building design matrices using
"formulas". Patsy's formulas are inspired by and largely compatible
with those used in R. Patsy makes it easy to quickly try different
models and work with categorical data and interactions. (Note: Patsy
was originally known as "Charlton" during development. Long story.)

Patsy can be used directly by users to generate model matrices for
passing to other libraries, or used by those libraries to offer a
high-level formula interface. Patsy's goal is to become the standard
format used by different Python statistical packages for specifying
models, just as formulas are the standard interface used by R
packages.

While this is an initial release, we already have robust test coverage
(>98% statement coverage), comprehensive documentation, and a number
of advanced features. (We even correctly handle a few corner cases
that R itself gets wrong.)

For more information, see:
Overview:
  http://patsy.readthedocs.org/en/latest/overview.html