On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 7:08 PM, David Warde-Farley <
d.warde.far...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that would lose information as to which value in B was at each
> position. I think you want:

(premature send, stupid Gmail...)

idx = {}
for i, x in enumerate(a):
        for j, y in enumerate(x):
                if y in B:
                        idx.setdefault(y, []).append((i,j))

On the problem size the OP specified, this is about 4x slower than the
NumPy version I posted above. However with a small modification:

idx = {}
set_b = set(B)  # makes 'if y in B' lookups much faster
for i, x in enumerate(a):
        for j, y in enumerate(x):
                if y in set_b:
                        idx.setdefault(y, []).append((i,j))

It actually beats my solution. With inputs: np.random.seed(0); A =
np.random.random_integers(40, 59, size=(40, 60)); B = np.arange(40, 60)

In [115]: timeit foo_py_orig(A, B)
100 loops, best of 3: 16.5 ms per loop

In [116]: timeit foo_py(A, B)
100 loops, best of 3: 2.5 ms per loop

In [117]: timeit foo_numpy(A, B)
100 loops, best of 3: 4.15 ms per loop

Depending on the specifics of the inputs, a collections.DefaultDict could
also help things.