You might want to look at this first:

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/1811

Yes it is possible to compute the median faster by doing quickselect
instead of quicksort. Best case O(n) for quickselect, O(n log n) for
quicksort. But adding selection and partial sorting to NumPy is a bigger
issue than just computing medians and percentiles faster.

If we are to do this I think we should add partial sorting and selection
to npysort, not patch in some C or Cython quickselect just for the
median. When npysort has quickselect, changing the Python code to use it
for medians and percentiles is a nobrainer.

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/tree/master/numpy/core/src/npysort

Sturla