That's a good point regarding the range function names. But, I think
the issue still stands on the readability of the ptp function.
Regarding PEP20 it's stated that "readability counts."

If you regard what ptp is supposed to replace, array.max() -
array.min(), the aforementioned follows the PEP20 better as it is more
readable. If valuerange() is not an acceptable name, maybe span()?

-Eli