I think I have said this before, but its worth a repeat:

Pickle (including cPickle) is a slow hog! That might not be the overhead
you see, you just haven't noticed it yet.

I saw this some years ago when I worked on shared memory arrays for Numpy
(cf. my account on Github). Shared memory really did not help to speed up
the IPC, because the entire overhead was dominated by pickle. (Shared
memory is a fine way of saving RAM, though.)

multiprocessing.Queue will use pickle for serialization, and is therefore
not the right tool for numerical parallel computing with Cython or NumPy.

In order to use multiprocessing efficiently with NumPy, we need a new Queue
type that knows about NumPy arrays (and/or Cython memoryviews), and treat
them as special cases. Getting rid of pickle altogether is the important
part, not facilitating its use even further. It is easy to make a Queue
type for Cython or NumPy arrays using a duplex pipe and couple of mutexes.
Or you can use shared memory as ringbuffer and atomic compare-and-swap on
the first bytes as spinlocks. It is not difficult to get the overhead of
queuing arrays down to little more than a memcpy.

I've been wanting to do this for a while, so maybe it is time to start a
new toy project :)

Sturla