Hi,

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 12:58 PM,  <josef.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 3:45 PM, alex <argri...@ncsu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 2:36 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.br...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi,

>> > {out of order paste}:
>> >
>> > That seems reasonable to me.  Maybe, to avoid heat and fast changes
>> > the NEP could lay out different options with advantages and
>> > disadvantages.

>> > This paragraph is a good summary of why the current situation of
>> > np.matrix could cause harm.
>> >
>> > It would really useful to have some hard evidence of who's using it
>> > though.  Are there projects that use np.matrix extensively?  If so,
>> > maybe some code from these could be use-cases to see if (pseudo-)
>> > deprecation is practical?
>> >
>> > Alex - do you have time to lay this stuff out?  I bet the NEP would be
>> > a good way of helping the discussion stays on track.  At very least it
>> > could be a reference point the next time this comes up.
>>
>> I don't think I have enough perspective to write a real NEP, but maybe
>> as a starting point we could begin a list somewhere, like on a wiki or
>> possibly in the numpy github repo, surveying an early 2014 snapshot of
>> the linear algebra APIs used by various Python projects.  For example
>> according to the responses in this thread, statsmodels seems to avoid
>> using numpy.matrix except possibly for interfacing with pandas, and at
>> least one professor relies on the numpy.matrix interface for classroom
>> teaching.  The list could include short quotes from people involved in
>> the projects, if they want to share an opinion.
>>
>> It wouldn't be my intention to treat such a list as a vote, but rather
>> as data and as an excuse to make a list of cool projects; I suspect
>> that members of most projects would say "we don't use numpy.matrix but
>> we don't mind if other people use it" and that most teachers or
>> students who benefit from the gentler syntax of numpy.matrix would not
>> even be reached by such a survey.
>

> My impression:
>
> As long as there is no big maintenance cost (which there isn't), I don't see
> any reason to remove matrix and to debate it every few years.

No, all agree I think - let's not remove it.

> All the users that are participating or reading the mailing list have been
> indoctrinated for years not to use matrix.

Here is the rub.  This discussion does come up - 'np.array or
np.matrix'.  It came up in a Software Carpentry boot camp I was
teaching on - and the instructors disagreed.

I think the active questions here are:

* Should we collect the discussion in coherent form somewhere?
* Should we add something to the np.matrix docstring and if so what?
* (Pauli's point): to what extent should we try to emulate the np.matrix API.

Best,

Matthew