On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 12:16 AM, Christophe Bal <projet...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You're right but on the other hand, I've never seen mixed use of matrix and
> scalar products without parenthesis... Indeed in math, we can use < Au , Bv
>> for the scalar product of two matrix-vector products.

Not scalar product, scalar multiplication -- you're saying (I think) that
   3 * Matrix1 * Matrix2
is just like
   3 * Matrix1 + Matrix2
in the sense that mathematicians think of the 3 * Matrix1 part is very
different from, and higher precedence than, the Matrix1 + Matrix2
part. And similarly that
   Matrix1 * Matrix2 * 3
is just like
   Matrix1 + Matrix2 * 3
But in fact I think if you asked most mathematicians which of the
"*"'s in Matrix1 * Matrix2 * 3 is higher precedence, they would think
this question very odd!

-n

--
Nathaniel J. Smith