My understanding of Carl's effort is that the long term goal is to
have official windows whl packages for both numpy and scipy published
on PyPI with a builtin BLAS / LAPACK implementation so that users can
do `pip install scipy` under windows and get something that just works
without have to install any compiler (fortran or C) nor any additional
library manually.

Most windows users are beginners and you cannot really expect them to
understand how to build the whole scipy stack from source.

The current solution (executable setup installers) is not optimal as
it requires Administrator rights to run, does not resolve dependencies
as pip does and cannot be installed in virtualenvs.

If we can build numpy / scipy whl packages for windows with the Atlas
dlls then fine embedded in the numpy package then good. It does not
need to be the
fastest BLAS / LAPACK lib in my opinion. Just something that works.

The problem with ATLAS is that you need to select the number of thread
at build time AFAIK. But we could set it to a reasonable default (e.g.
4 threads) for the default windows package.

--
Olivier