Hi,

the ATLAS blas / lapack library instead of the default OSX Accelerate
framework.

We've run into some trouble with a segfault in recent OSX Accelerate:

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/4007

and Accelerate also doesn't play well with multiprocessing.

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/4776

Because there's nothing I love more than half-day compilation runs on
my laptop, I've built ATLAS binaries with gcc 4.8, and linked numpy
and scipy to them to make OSX wheels.  These pass all tests in i386
and x86_64 mode, including numpy, scipy, matplotlib, pandas:

https://travis-ci.org/matthew-brett/scipy-stack-osx-testing/builds/27442987

The build process needs some automating, but it's recorded here:

https://github.com/matthew-brett/numpy-atlas-binaries

It's possible to get travis-ci to build these guys from a bare machine
and then upload them somewhere, but I haven't tried to do that.

Meanwhile Sturla kindly worked up a patch to numpy to work round the
Accelerate segfault [1].  I haven't tested that, but given I'd already
built the wheels, I prefer the ATLAS builds because they work with
multiprocessing.

I propose uploading these wheels as the default for numpy and scipy.
Does anyone have any objection or comments before I go ahead and do
that?

Cheers,

Matthew

[1] http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2014-June/070333.html