On 7/18/2014 12:45 PM, Mark Miller wrote:
> If the true goal is to just allow quick entry of a 2d array, why not just
> advocate using
> a = numpy.array(numpy.mat("1 2 3; 4 5 6; 7 8 9"))

It's even simpler:
a = np.mat(' 1 2 3;4 5 6;7 8 9').A

I'm not putting a dog in this race.  Still I would say that
the reason why such proposals miss the point is that
there are introductory settings where one would like
to explain as few complications as possible.  In
particular, one might prefer *not* to discuss the
existence of a matrix type.  As an additional downside,
this is only good for 2d, and there have been proposals
for the new array builder to handle other dimensions.

fwiw,
Alan Isaac