On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:40 PM, Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 4:39 PM, Warren Weckesser
> <warren.weckes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 9:13 PM, Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Regarding names: shuffle/permutation is a terrible naming convention
> >> IMHO and shouldn't be propagated further. We already have a good
> >> naming convention for inplace-vs-sorted: sort vs. sorted, reverse vs.
> >> reversed, etc.
> >>
> >> So, how about:
> >>
> >> scramble + scrambled shuffle individual entries within each
> >> row/column/..., as in Warren's suggestion.
> >>
> >> shuffle + shuffled to do what shuffle, permutation do now (mnemonic:
> >> these break a 2d array into a bunch of 1d "cards", and then shuffle
> >> those cards).
> >>
> >> permuted remains indefinitely, with the docstring: "Deprecated alias
> >> for 'shuffled'."
> >
> > That sounds good to me.  (I might go with 'randomize' instead of
> 'scramble',
> > but that's a second-order decision for the API.)
>
> I hesitate to use names like "randomize" because they're less
> informative than they feel seem -- if asked what this operation does
> to an array, then it would be natural to say "it randomizes the
> array". But if told that the random module has a function called
> randomize, then that's not very informative -- everything in random
> randomizes something somehow.

I had some similar concerns (hence my original "disarrange"), but
"randomize" seemed more likely to be found when searching or browsing the
docs, and while it might be a bit too generic-sounding, it does feel like a
natural verb for the process.   On the other hand, "permute" and "permuted"
are even more natural and unambiguous.  Any objections to those?  (The
existing function is "permutation".)

Whatever the names, the docstrings for the four functions should be
cross-referenced in their "See Also" sections to help users find the
appropriate function.

By the way, "permutation" has a feature not yet mentioned here: if the
argument is an integer 'n', it generates a permutation of arange(n).  In
this case, it acts like matlab's "randperm" function.  Unless we replicate
that in the new function, we shouldn't deprecate "permutation".

Warren