On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 10:33 PM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.har...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 11:50 AM, Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com> wrote:

> "second_order" or
> orders in the

> would
> because of
> guess)
> better to
> boolean
> enhancements

> order
> is
> >>
> >> Ah, that makes sense. edge_order makes more sense to me too then - and
> we
> >> can always add interior_order to complement it later, if appropriate.
> >>
> >> The other thing to decide on is the default. Is the 2nd order version
> >> generally preferred (modulo compatibility)? If so then it might make
> sense
> >> to keep it the default, given that there are already numpy's in the wild
> >> with that version, so we can't fully guarantee compatibility even if we
> >> wanted to. But what do others think?
> >
> > I'd be inclined to keep the older as the default and regard adding the
> > keyword as a bugfix. I should have caught the incompatibility in review.
>
> I don't have any code that uses gradient, so I don't have a great
> sense of the trade-offs here.
>
> - Usually if we have a change that produces increased accuracy, we
> make the increased accuracy the default. Otherwise no-one ever uses
> it, and everyone gets less accurate results than they would otherwise.
> (I don't have a great sense of how much this change affects accuracy
> though.)
>
> - If the change in output per se is a serious problem for people, then
> it's not one we can fix at this point -- 1.9.0 is out there and people
> are using it anyway, so those who have the problem already need to
> take some affirmative action to fix it. (Also, it's kinda weird to
> change a function's behaviour and add a new argument in a point
> release!)
>
> So I'd like to hear from people affected by this -- would you prefer
> to have the 2nd order boundary calculations by default, you just need
> some way to workaround the immediate problems in existing code? Or do
> you prefer the old default remain the default, with 2nd order boundary
> calculations something that must be requested by hand every time?
>
> -n
>
> --
> Nathaniel J. Smith
> Postdoctoral researcher - Informatics - University of Edinburgh
> http://vorpus.org

Since I started this discussion, I'll chime in. I don't have a strong
preference for either mode that stems from a computational/scientific
principle. As Nathaniel suggested - I have resorted to simply copying the
1.8 version of the function into my algorithm implementation, with the hope
of removing that down the line. In that respect, I have a very weak
preference for preserving the (1.8) status quo per default.

Thanks!