Simon Wood <sgwoo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not quite the same. This is not so much about language semantics as
> mathematical definitions. You (the Numpy community) have decided to
> overload certain mathematical operators to act in a way that is not
> consistent with linear algebra teachings.

We have overloaded the operators to make them work like Fortran 90. That is
about as hardcore numerical computing semantics as you get.

> This can be a bit confusing for
> people who develop and implement mathematical algorithms that have a strong
> foundation in linear algebra, irrespective of the language they are
> migrating from.

Those who develop such algorithms are probably going to use BLAS and
LAPACK. Then by deduction they know about Fortran, and then by deduction
they know about array broadcasting.

Sturla