On 10/06/2015 01:45 PM, Neal Becker wrote:
Are extra_compile_args actually used in all compile steps?

extra_compile_args is not used by numpy, its to support some third party use case I never understood. As the typical site.cfg used by numpy only contains binaries that are never compiled by numpy itself it should have no effect on anything.

CFLAGS='-march=native -O3' python setup.py build

Does seem to use my CFLAGS, as it always did on previous numpy versions.

still seems to work for me, though the preferred variable is OPT= as CFLAGS will contain a bunch of other stuff related to building python extensions themselves (e.g. -fno-strict-aliasing)