---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Evgeni Burovski <evgeny.burovs...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 11:56 AM
Subject: Re: [Numpy-discussion] Multi-distribution Linux wheels - please test
To: Discussion of Numerical Python <numpy-discussion@scipy.org>

On Sat, Feb 6, 2016 at 8:26 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As some of you may have seen, Robert McGibbon and Nathaniel have just
> guided a PEP for multi-distribution Linux wheels past the approval
> process over on distutils-sig:
>
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0513/
>
> The PEP includes a docker image on which y'all can build wheels which
> match the PEP:
>
> https://quay.io/repository/manylinux/manylinux
>
> Now we're at the stage where we need stress-testing of the built
> wheels to find any problems we hadn't thought of.
>
> I've built numpy and scipy wheels here:
>
> https://nipy.bic.berkeley.edu/manylinux/
>
> So, if you have a Linux distribution handy, we would love to hear from
> you about the results of testing these guys, maybe on the lines of:
>
> pip install -f https://nipy.bic.berkeley.edu/manylinux numpy scipy
> python -c 'import numpy; numpy.test()'
> python -c 'import scipy; scipy.test()'
>
> These manylinux wheels should soon be available on pypi, and soon
> after, installable with latest pip, so we would like to fix as many
> problems as possible before going live.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew

Hi,

Bog-standard Ubuntu 12.04, fresh virtualenv:

Python 2.7.3 (default, Jun 22 2015, 19:33:41)
[GCC 4.6.3] on linux2
>>> import numpy
>>> numpy.__version__
'1.10.4'
>>> numpy.test()
Running unit tests for numpy
NumPy version 1.10.4
NumPy relaxed strides checking option: False
NumPy is installed in
/home/br/virtualenvs/manylinux/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/numpy
Python version 2.7.3 (default, Jun 22 2015, 19:33:41) [GCC 4.6.3]
nose version 1.3.7

<snip>

ERROR: test_multiarray.TestNewBufferProtocol.test_relaxed_strides
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/home/br/virtualenvs/manylinux/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/nose/case.py",
line 197, in runTest
    self.test(*self.arg)
  File
"/home/br/virtualenvs/manylinux/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/numpy/core/tests/test_multiarray.py",
line 5366, in test_relaxed_strides
    fd.write(c.data)
TypeError: 'buffer' does not have the buffer interface

* Scipy tests pass with one error in TestNanFuncs, but the interpreter
crashes immediately afterwards.

Same machine, python 3.5: both numpy and scipy tests pass.