What behavior is unexpected?  For the (256, 256) images, matplotlib applies
its default colormap to the grayscale (v1.5 and previous, that is jet,
+v2.0, that will be viridis). The numpy array as loaded from PIL will never
carry any additional information that came from the TIFF.

As for PIL, it will return an RGB[A] array if there is colormap data in the
TIFF. If there is no colormap specified in the TIFF, it'll give you a
simple 2D array. Now, maybe you'd like it to always return an RGB[A] array,
but without a colormap in the TIFF, it makes sense to return the data
as-is. This makes sense for people treating the TIFF as a data format
rather than a visualization data format.

Ben Root