Also in favor of 2. Always return a float for '**'

On 04.06.2016 21:47, josef.p...@gmail.com wrote:
On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 3:43 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.har...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 11:22 AM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.har...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All,

I've made a new post so that we can make an explicit decision.
AFAICT, the two proposals are

* Integers to negative integer powers raise an error.
* Integers to integer powers always results in floats.

My own sense is that 1. would be closest to current behavior and
using a float exponential when a float is wanted is an explicit
way to indicate that desire. OTOH, 2. would be the most convenient
default for everyday numerical computation, but I think would more
likely break current code. I am going to come down on the side of
1., which I don't think should cause too many problems if we start
with a {Future, Deprecation}Warning explaining the workaround.

I'm in favor of 2.  always float for `**`
I don't see enough pure integer usecases to throw away a nice
operator.