Hi everyone!

I want to discuss adding support for __format__ in ndarray and I am willing to
contribute code-wise once consensus has been reached. It was briefly
discussed on GitHub two years ago (https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/5543)
and I will re-iterate some of the points made there and build off of that. I
have been thinking about this a lot in the last few weeks and my thoughts turned
into a fairly fleshed out proposal. The discussion should probably start more
high-level, so I apologize if the level of detail is inappropriate at this
point in time.

I decided on a gist, since the email got too long and clear formatting helps:

https://gist.github.com/gustavla/2783543be1204d2b5d368f6a1fb4d069

OK, those are my thoughts for now. What do you think?

Cheers,
Gustav