On Thu, 2017-03-09 at 15:45 +0100, Jaime Fernández del Río wrote:
> There will be a PyData conference in Barcelona this May:
>
> http://pydata.org/barcelona2017/
>
> I am planning on attending, and was thinking of maybe proposing to
> organize a numpy-themed workshop or tutorial.
>
> My personal inclination would be to look at some advanced topic that
> I know well, like writing gufuncs in Cython, but wouldn't mind doing
> a more run of the mill thing. Anyone has any thoughts or experiences
> on what has worked well in similar situations? Any specific topic you
> always wanted to attend a workshop on, but were afraid to ask?
>
> Alternatively, or on top of the workshop, I could propose to do a
> talk: talking last year at PyData Madrid about the new indexing was a
> lot of fun! Thing is, I have been quite disconnected from the project
> this past year, and can't really think of any worthwhile topic. Is
> there any message that we as a project would like to get out to the
> larger community?

Francesc already pointed out the temporary optimization. From what I
remember, my personal highlight would probably be Pauli's work on the
memory overlap detection. Though both are rather passive improvements I
guess (you don't really have to learn them to use them), its very cool!
And if its about highlighting new stuff, these can probably easily fill
a talk.

> And if you are planning on attending, please give me a shout.

Barcelona :). Maybe I should think about it, but probably not.