On 1/1/20 9:56 PM, David White wrote:

On 1/1/2020 11:49 AM, David White wrote:

Hi Roger and, as always, thanks!

I really do not want to wait very long before shutting down things on
this UPS. What I think I am doing (or at least trying to do) is to
execute a script on the host machine when the UPS is detected by NUT to
be on battery power.

That script sleeps 20 seconds to ensure that this was not just a power
blip (which happens here often) but a real power outage. After 20
seconds, the script checks the UPS status via upsc and if it is no
longer OB, power is deemed restored and the script exits.

If, after 20 seconds, UPS status remains OB then the event is deemed a
true power outage and I want to shut down what I can cleanly. To do
this, the script issues remote shutdown commands to a set of network
connected devices also living on this UPS (but sadly not able to run
NUT). As its final step, it issues a command to shut the host machine down.

It seems from what you say above, I need to issue "/sbin/upsdrvctl
shutdown" in there somewhere - obviously before I shut the host machine
down. I will have to test this to see exactly what that command does.
When run w/out arguments, the usage says shutdown shuts down UPS
drivers. I am not clear if this means that the UPS itself will be
powered off or if simply NUT is shutdown.

Thanks

Well, I just tried "/sbin/upsdrvctl shutdown" and while I see some output and a message shutting down in 30 seconds, nothing happens to the host machine or the UPS. Hmmm.

that command  only stops the drivers. generally speaking, upsdrvctl operates *only* on the drivers.

pi@pi:~# upsdrvctl --help
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.7.4
upsdrvctl: invalid option -- '-'
Starts and stops UPS drivers via ups.conf.

usage: upsdrvctl [OPTIONS] (start | stop | shutdown) [<ups>]

  -h                    display this help
  -r <path>             drivers will chroot to <path>
  -t                    testing mode - prints actions without doing them
  -u <user>             drivers started will switch from root to <user>
  -D                    raise debugging level
  start                 start all UPS drivers in ups.conf
  start <ups>           only start driver for UPS <ups>
  stop                  stop all UPS drivers in ups.conf
  stop <ups>            only stop driver for UPS <ups>
*  shutdown              shutdown all UPS drivers in ups.conf*
  shutdown <ups>        only shutdown UPS <ups>