IETF and IANA require that protocols on ports assigned by IANA be documented with RFC's. We do not currently have an RFC for port nut/3493. To solve this IANA port administration issue, I propose the text http://rogerprice.org/NUT/draft-rprice-ups-management-protocol-00.html as a candidate. Such texts are known as "Internet Drafts". They have a limited lifetime, but if accepted by the IETF become permanent "Informational RFC's".

Clauses "5. IANA Considerations" and "6. Security Considerations" are key clauses.

There are places in the text which need clarification. I would much appreciate assistance in completing those clauses.

In the long term, if all goes well, it would be good for the NUT Project to have the RFC promoted to "Best Current Practice" (BCP), which is a step towards the Nivana of "Standards Track" and highly desirable. Getting to BCP requires a full consensus.

Comments and corrections are welcome in this list. When we have a consensus, I will submit the draft to the IETF.

Roger