I've installed nut and nut-client 2.8.0 on my systemd server (had some fun with the 2.8.0-1.el8 packages not correctly generating /var/run due to an incorrect /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d entry (nut-common.conf instead of nut-client.conf and pointing to /var/run/nut/nut) but that's a story for another day - I worked around that).

My question is about systemd service files...

The 2.8.0 service files are different from 2.7.4 - and while I have read the 2.8.0 documentation I am not clear on which of the various .service and .target files should be set to autostart.

Immediately after install systemd had nut like this:

[root@emp80 ~]# systemctl list-unit-files | grep -i nut
nut-driver-enumerator.path                 disabled
nut-driver-enumerator.service              disabled
nut-driver@.service                        disabled
nut-monitor.service                        disabled
nut-server.service                         disabled
nut-driver.target                          disabled
nut.target                                 disabled

In 2.8.0 I have a configured ups.conf. I have not created or edited any .service or .target unit-files, all are as standard. Editing ups.conf resulted in nut-driver@eaton5sx.service correctly, and systemctl start nut-driver@eaton5sx.service runs fine, as does 'upsdrvctl start'.

Then starting nut-server.service and nut-monitor.service gets me to a fully operational state. After a reboot, nothing was auto-started, but manually starting everything (driver, server, monitor) worked - so PID files/locations are OK.

I'm now trying to work out what to "enable" for systemd autostart on boot, and having mixed results.

I'm setup as follows at the moment, but am not sure if this is correct for what should be enabled for autostart on reboot as sometimes the driver does not start and has to be manually triggered into life.

[root@emp80 ~]# systemctl list-unit-files | grep -i nut
nut-driver-enumerator.path                 disabled
nut-driver-enumerator.service              disabled
nut-driver@.service                        disabled
nut-monitor.service                        disabled
nut-server.service                         disabled
nut-driver.target                          enabled
nut.target                                 enabled

What should be set to start with "systemctl enable ...."? Can someone with a fully working systemd 2.8.0 setup please tell me what they have?

Thanks
Simon

--
Simon Wilson