> 1) How do I make the nut-server and nut-monitor find the right pid files?
They are there but it seems they can't be opened. Permissions are nut/nut.

Actually, if the preceding lifetime of the service was a graceful stop, the
exiting daemon should have removed its PID files. Then the newly starting
one would check and not find them - as I wrote before - to make sure there
is no hung old competitor to kill off as part of the start-up. So works as
is normal, just with scary messages (newer versions should be less cryptic
about this).

> Jan 19 16:14:52 mars nut-monitor[3781]: Init SSL without certificate
database

This means your NUT build is SSL-capable, but you did not configure it with
certificates so it is using plaintext mode.

> Jan 19 16:14:52 mars nut-monitor[3781]: Login on UPS [Eaton@localhost]
failed - got [ERR ACCESS-DENIED]

Given that in some messages posted earlier it works, and in some it is
denied (soon after upsd startup), it is the most puzzling issue here (other
than the service restarts which you did not post explanations about). I'd
guess that it retried the connection too early somehow, if upsd is already
listening but did not yet read all configuration. Not sure this should
happen. Also might be if you have several MONITOR lines for the same
device/server and some of them are wrong?

Jim