I have a Cabac UPS-1700DV2
http://webshop.cabac.com.au/webshop(bD1lbiZjPTUwMA==)/public/catalogue/default.htm?cat=Z_COMP
despite the unit having only a USB interface it is supplied with serial port
only software for linux, mac & windows, so I need to find alterate software to
manage it.

I live in Brisbane, Qld, Australia where the power distribution system is
barely better than 3rd world standard - outages average 45 days, outage
duration 6 - 72 hours, constant under/over voltages (100 to 400v ac on nominal
240v)

KDE Info Centre reports the UPS as:
STD UPS MON V1.0
Class           0       ((Defined at Interface level))
Subclass                0
Protocol                0
USB Version     1.00
Vendor ID       0x1     (Fry's Electronics)
Product ID      0x0
Revision                0.00
Speed           1.5 Mbit/s
Channels                0
Max. Packet Size        8

I have had a quick look at NUT but not found an obvious answer and the
suggestion that damage is possible discourages me from probing blindly

any suggestions, hints, ... would be appreciated

mick