On Jan 23, 2011, at 2:16 PM, Paul Banks wrote:

$ ./blazer_usb -a rupert -DDDDD -u root

^ If this is in a non-root shell, this won't work.

NUT has no hooks to go from a non-root user ID to root, nor can it change from one non-root user to another non-root user. (To do so would require setuid binaries, or calling an existing setuid tool like sudo.)

The "-u root" option is to override the default behavior when started as root, which is to change to the non-root user specified at configuration time (usually "nut", or the last-resort "nobody").

Note that I get the above output when running the command from a
normal non-root user. (not nut user as that has no shell). If I run
the same as root I get a different error saying it couldn't connect to
UPS at all - I originally was going to post about that when I realised
that I probably should be running blazer-usb command as non-root. If
it SHOULD work to launch the driver directly as root then let me know
and I'll post the output as that might identify better the actual
issue here.

If you want to invoke a driver from a non-root account, then "-u" won't have an effect, and that non-root account should be the one specified at configuration time.