[please keep the list CC'd. nut-upsuser is the best place for this thread.]

On Jun 25, 2011, at 11:01 AM, John Lechanski wrote:

1. the specifications of my ups: F6C750-AVR; it has 750VA, more than enough to power my system, which is all that is on the ups.

What are the USB Vendor ID and Product ID?

You may need to open a shell for that. I haven't used Solaris USB support, so I'm not sure what commands to use.

2. the first picture you'll see is when I unplug and plug in my ups via USB into the same USB port of the NAS. 3. the second picture is going to the UPS feature on Freenas 0.7.2.5543. I have the OS running from a thumb drive and I have two sets of drives you'll see in the pic, one a raid 5 configuration (hard wired raid with addonics raid card) and the other is just a free floating HDD, no back-up. 4. the next pictures you'll see is what happens when I try different configurations on the gui. The first pair (pic 3 & 4) are the config and what it says on my nas. When I enter this configuration, the nas beeps once and the screen says the first thing you see "Broadcast Message..." then after about 5 seconds, another beep and the second line "UPS ups@localhost is unavailable"

Any log entries in syslog?

5. picture 5 is what happens when I change my configuration, still same error, and same reaction by nas box. 6. the final picture is what happens when I implement a solution that I found on-line. the gui software says success and my nas box has no change (in other words, nothing happens on my screen when I implement this configuration, no beeping, no nothing). I then try to simulate a power outage by yanking the plug on the ups; the ups is on battery and the nas keeps going as if nothing is wrong.

The genericups driver cannot do error checking:

http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/man/genericups.html

With a USB cable, you would only use genericups if you were sure that the UPS is a basic contact-closure model with a USB-to-serial adapter supported by the OS.

I hope this clarifies things, no matter what configuration I use, I either get the error messages on the gui and the nas beeps twice with the above mentioned quotations or I get the one success in #6 but it won't work.

My overall impression is that the freenas UPS support needs more diagnostic information.