On Sep 15, 2015, at 5:12 PM, Rob Groner <rgro...@rtd.com> wrote:

> Charles,
>
> Trying to track down the source of the problem, I checked Yast to make sure I
> had at least 0.1.8 version for libusb.  I saw this (attached photo).  Is it
> then actually using –compat instead of the “real” libusb?  And is that a
> problem?

You're right, both the -compat and real libusb packages will use the same
libusb-0.1.so* name.

It's not necessarily a problem, but it does mean that there is different code
between your driver and the kernel. Most of the NUT testing has been done with
the original libusb.

> I just thought of something else that has changed since the last time I was
> trying this....  I am now using the "--with-pidpath=/var/run/ups"
> configuration parameter to change where everything keeps the pid files.  I
> wasn't doing that before.  Since that's mounted to tmpfs, is it possible
> that's getting unmounted before the shutdown command happens (and thus not
> finding the .pid file, it tries to start it instead)?

You might be on to something, but if so, the race happens earlier than the
"usbhid-ups -k" invocation. Because the "-k" flag is meant to be called at the
end of the shutdown sequence, it doesn't assume /var is mounted, and
consequently, it doesn't check for other PID files. However, if a driver
happens to still be running, it could cause the "-k" option to report a busy
error.

https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/master/drivers/main.c#L588

--
Charles Lepple