On Wed, 28 Oct 2015, George Anchev wrote:

 ${sbinPath}upsmon -c fsd
In 'upsmon --help' I read: "- fsd: shutdown all master UPSes (use with caution)". What exactly does this line do?

My understanding is that it calls upsmon running as root to execute the command specified by SHUTDOWNCMD in upsmon.conf, and that it checks that it is running as root.

I decided to make a simple test with this script named test:

#!/bin/bash
MSG0=$'test'
echo $MSG0 | /usr/bin/wall
echo "abc"

If I run it as root, there is a notification - both in console and in KDE and "abc" in console. But if I attempt to run the test script it as upsd:
su - upsd -c "./test"
the result is only silence.

Its upsmon which executes the shutdown command, not upsd. upsmon only accepts the -c values it understands, and will remind you of this if you try something else.

I don't know if upsmon is running as root or upsd when it calls wall for a shutdown. If it is running as upsd then there could be a problem.

Roger