On Fri, 9 Dec 2016, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

Hello fellow victim of Tripplite braindead USB!  There is a solution!

On Thu, 8 Dec 2016, dwill...@inebraska.com wrote:

                 service nut-server stop
                 service nut-server start

 Then everything is fine again for a while.

I jumped the gun. Mine did not reset so easily. So you are better off than me. The SMART1500LCDT actually disappears from the USB bus!
You can trigger a reset script with upssched.  You could actually use
my solution, although it is overkill.  By cycling port power, you
simulate unplugging, and replugging the USB connector.

--
              Stuart D. Gathman <stu...@gathman.org>