On Sat, 1 Apr 2017, Stuart Gathman wrote:

On 04/01/2017 03:14 PM, Dan Craciun wrote:
On my Nagios monitoring system I use check_nut_plus (that in turn
calls upsc) to monitor the status (ups.status), load (ups.load),
battery charge (battery.charge) and runtime (battery.runtime).

If these return "unknown", it means upsd is no longer monitoring the
UPS. As long as you get data, upsd is working.

That's great, but Spike wants to know whether *upsmon* is working.  He
already has a way to check that upsd is working.

How about using a dummy ups to set up a regular end-to-end heart beat. As long as the heart beats, there is no news, but if it stops, upssched-cmd sends out an e-mail or other warning.

In ups.conf, add

[heartbeat]
        driver = dummy-ups
        port = heartbeat.dev
        desc = "Dummy ups sends heart beat to upssched-cmd"

In heartbeat.dev, write

ups.status: REPLBATT
TIMER 300

In upsmon.conf, write

NOTIFYFLAG REPLBATT SYSLOG+EXEC

In upssched.conf, add

# Heatbeat from dummy ups every 5 minutes, re-start 6 minute timer
AT REPLBATT heartbeat CANCEL-TIMER heatbeat-timer
AT REPLBATT heartbeat START-TIMER  heatbeat-timer 360

In upssched-cmd, if heatbeat-timer completes, then send "UPS heatbeat failure" message to sysadmin.

If this works, let me know, and I will use it myself :-)
It would be nice to have a HEARTBEAT status instead of using REPLBATT.

Roger