On Jun 20, 2017, at 6:00 AM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:

>    On 06/20/2017 04:08 AM, Charles Lepple wrote:
>> [...]
>> It does not get a length for method 1, so it moves on to method 2, which
>> gets a length, but fails to get the rest of the descriptor. This is what is
>> happening to lsusb, too (tries to fetch 549 bytes, gets only 9).
> and is there anything I can do to fix, short of hoping to receive an updated
> unbroken firmware for the UPS from a support team which ignores me ?

I can't speak for Eaton, but given what I have seen so far, the symptoms do not
necessarily point to the UPS. If I search my copy of the NUT mailing lists for
"lsusb" and "incomplete report descriptor", I see two cases of a Liebert GXT-3,
one CyberPower PP1100, one older Tripp-Lite unit, and an APC Smart-UPS 1000.

That sample set is not large enough to isolate the problem to a specific
kernel, distribution or motherboard. Hopefully Eaton has a larger set of data
points.

>>> However I am using the very same package on my personal workstation (which
>>> is also running CentOS 6 but has a whole lot of packages installed either
>>> from 3rd party repos or built by me  ) since Fri 09 Jan 2015 (I needed it
>>> for heimdall ) and I had zero issues so far.
>> Can you be more specific about this? What hardware are you testing libusbx
>> 1.0.19 with?
> Gigabyte F2A88X-D3H with AMD A8-6600K works fine with heimdall which I used
> to connect to a Samsung S2+ and now to a Samsung A3 (2016) . Some similar
> board ( I do not recall exactly what model was it, could have been either
> identical or DH3 which is basically the same motherboard with some minor
> modifications) was used by my colleague from the IT support dept 2-3 years
> ago with my phone as well. The packages that I have installed are :

Oh, I thought you meant that libusbx was working fine with another UPS.

I don't know whether the 5E1500I is a 1.5 Mbit/sec or 12 Mbit/sec device, but I
suspect that the other USB devices you are testing are faster than that. (Bear
in mind that 480 Mbit/sec generally uses a different host controller interface,
and 5.0 Gbit/sec uses a different PHY layer as well.)