People,

A couple of decades before I was retired and was still working for other people I had cause to install UPSs and they usually had RS232 ports to allow the setting up of shutdown scripts to UNIX / Linux servers. Now, after not having to be concerned by those issues for some time - most of my little web sites have been on Digital Ocean or other suppliers VMs for a long time - I am shutting down my DO servers and bringing my sites in-house. However, now I need to be concerned about reliable power again so I have spent a bit of time looking at options and I don't understand why most of the UPS offerings available do not come standard with a LAN port? Why is this?

Do people have suggestions about my options? I have two main machines - say 250-400W total and a few small devices inc a Billion router and some USB devices. It would be nice to have at say 5-10 minutes battery backup before sending shutdown messages to the Linux machines.

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades