Mike Smith wrote:
060219 142408 task_m_grycae  Parent died.  Exiting task_m_grycae

This means the child process, executing the task, was unable to ping its parent process (the task tracker).

060219 142408 task_m_grycae Child Error
java.io.IOException: Task process exit with nonzero status.
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskRunner.runChild(TaskRunner.java:144)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskRunner.run(TaskRunner.java:97)

And this means that the parent was really still alive, and has noticed that the child killed itself.

It would be good to know how the child failed to contact its parent. We should probably log a stack trace when this happens. I just made that change in Hadoop and will propagate it to Nutch.

Doug