+1 for a release sooner rather than later. Several interesting features
contributed since the 0.7 branch I believe are now tested and
production-worthy, at least in my environment. Hats off to the folks who
were able to split the MapReduce and NDFS into Hadoop -- I'm going to be
experimenting with that portion of the code over the next few weeks on a 16
node, 32 processor Opteron cluster at JPL that will be used as the
development machine for a large scale earth science data processing mission.
Because the Hadoop code is in its own project now, I can leverage and test
the Hadoop processing and HDFS capability without having to include all the
search engine specific stuff. Yayyyy! :-)

Cheers,
  Chris

On 4/6/06 12:59 PM, "Andrzej Bialecki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Doug Cutting wrote:
>> TDLN wrote:
>>> I mean, how do others keep uptodate with the main codeline? Do you
>>> advice updating everyday?
>>
>> Should we make a 0.8.0 release soon?  What features are still missing
>> that we'd like to get into this release?
>
> I think we should make a release soon - instabilities related to Hadoop
> split are mostly gone now, and we need to endorse the new architecture
> more officially...
>
> The "adaptive fetch" and "scoring API" functionality are the top
> priority for me. While the scoring API change is pretty innocuous, we
> just need to clean it up, the adaptive fetch changes have a big
> potential for wrecking the main re-fetch cycle ... ;)
>
> We could do it in two ways: I could apply this patch and let people run
> with it for a while, fixing bugs as they pop up - but then it will be
> another 3-4 weeks I suppose. Or we could wait with this after the release.

Chris A. Mattmann
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Staff Member
Modeling and Data Management Systems Section (387)
Data Management Systems and Technologies Group

Office: 171-266B                        Mailstop:  171-246