fredericoagent wrote:
If I want to setup nutch with lets say 400 million urls in the database.

Is it better to have a 4-5 super fast and loaded servers or have 12-15
smaller , cheaper servers.

More smaller servers. Make sure they are energy efficient though and have a decent amount of Ram. If a server goes down, you aren't affected as much.

By superfast I mean cpu is latest quad core or latest six core processor
with 6 Gigs Ram and 1. or 1.5 TB HD.

By cheap I mean something like a Xeon quad core 2.26 cpu with 3 Gig Ram and
500 Sata HD.

or if anyone can suggest a better spec ideal

Our first servers were 1Ghz (Yes really) running hadoop 0.04 way back when. Our first production clusters were core2, 4G ECC, 1 750G hard drive. These days been building i7 8-core, 12G ECC, 4T raid-5 machines with up to 8 disks, 2U for around 2200.00 each. If you are looking for a good server builder check out swt.com. They are supermicro resellers and build solid machines.

Suggestions. Don't skimp on the hard drive, do at least 750G or more. Price difference is negligible. Do at least 2G Ram, 4G is better, 8G is better than that. You can get up to 12G on regular motherboards these days. After that it gets much more expensive. Ao more recent processors, such as core2 or i7. They are more power efficient per processing unit. If you want a really fast machine, do multiple disks in a raid-5 format.

Dennis