I had the same problem before. Just read
http://www.mail-archive.com/nutch-dev%40lucene.apache.org/msg04303.html

Make that tiny change on line 385 of HttpBase.java and it will work fine.

Raphael

Sellek, Greg wrote:

I am experiencing the same issue as a similar post for 8/6.  Whenever I
try and fetch pages, I see a lot of  "fetch of xxx failed with:
java.lang.NullPointerException"  I have put the appropriate agent info
in both the nutch-default and nutch-site config files.  I tried using
DEBUG logging to get more info, but this error is the extent of what I
see.  Seems to happen on about 95% of the urls I am trying to crawl.

BTW, this happens with both the 0.8 build and the latest nightly build.

TIA for any advice as to what I am doing wrong.

Greg