Dennis, Otis et al,

My very small team has kept silent for a long time. We've been playing
with Nutch, Hadoop and to a lesser extent Solr for about 2 years now.
Before I get into my thoughts on what direction things should take I
would like to offer a thought on why Nutch is not as active as other
groups.

I think in part it's because what Nutch represents and that's the
ability of creating a large scale search. Some developers would rather
use Nutch and associated tools and keep quiet about it because of
their goals, which in some case might mean competing against the likes
of Google, Yahoo, Ask, MSN Live etc. For my part I'm not going to
compete with those companies on large scale search but I can see
competition in the vertical markets. And while Solr is hot these days
it's intended primarily for the enterprise market which is very
different than the large scale and vertical markets.

Now on to the future. I agree with many of the thoughts Otis put forward.

While Nutch has it's problems other than Heritrix there is no other
open source system available and Nutch's ability to perform web-wide
crawls must be preserved. However I'm thinking we should have modular
approach to Nutch. For instance, why just one fetcher? Why not keep
the current one but also allow for the possibility of using Droids?
Parsing can and should include Tika. I'm not sure about outsourcing
indexing and searching to Solr but that could be a modular option as
well.

I'm not sure if Nutch should become a top level project and move out
from under Lucene. Lucene has great visibility and for many reasons.
If Nutch was moved, would it still attract enough attention? It's been
noted that developer interest in Nutch is different that Lucene, Solr
etc. On the other hand it might do Nutch good to go TLP as maybe then
it would attract more developers especially if it was packaged
differently.

My thoughts. And hopefully in the near future my small team will be
able to contribute to Nutch in a meaningful way.

Marc Boucher
http://hyperix.com