On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 9:01 AM, Elzur, Uri <uri.el...@intel.com> wrote:
> in the first few presentations of the virtual FtF  we heard of some
> guidelines and some implementation ideas
>
> I was wondering what are the group's guidelines as to what minimal content
> needed to be carried in the header. Clearly there is a range between ultimate
> flexibility and full rigidity. HW vs. SW implementations (i.e. efficiency,
> ability to run at wire speed, middle box support, longevity of equipment in
> the field etc etc. ) are somewhere along that continuum as well as
> interoperability. Before we dive into the specifics of adopting one option or
> multiple options or an option per use case it may be good to set some
> guidelines

In our deployment, the bare minimum requirements for things needed in
an NVO3 encapsulation header were:

1) A virtual network identifier
2) A mechanism to secure the virtual network identifier and outer
addresses against spoofing or corruption
3) A next protocol field that can at least indicate IPv4, IPv6, and Ethernet

There are many other requirements around performance, more features,
stronger security, and extensibility-- but these three were
fundamental to deploying a public multi-tenant solution at scale.

Tom