Michael,

At 03:55 PM 5/27/2003 -0700, you wrote:
Quite interesting, however,

   I don't remember anywhere in the law that says that it is only a trespass
if there is a "breaking" as well.

That is not my quite my contention; if you have a no trespassing sign, for instance, it is. But in most Western jurisdictions trespass requires that a reasonable person would have known that the _specific_ 'property owner' would not want him/her there.

To go a little into this, in the Anglo tradition at least, the notion of trespass is very much related to resource control -- it derives from the wardening of game and other resources on estates, and (briefly) it is of note that the common law (which still often has application) assumed that most resources were "naturally" open to all the public; others came to be open only to the vasslage of an estate; and, finally, with the establishment of private estates circa 1600, the resources in a particular area could become the 'property' of a baron or other holder.

 Although that may have been the case in
common law (the lawyer will understand that) it certainly isn't the case in
modern law.  If I somehow forget to lock my door when I leave for work one
day, the delivery man who comes to drop off a package, and finds the door
open, can't just come on in and make himself at home.

First, you prejudice the case by saying "forgot." How is the delivery man supposed to know you "forgot," and that it is not a common practive -- that you do not, in fact (as we do in San Francisco even), leave your door open
because your apartment is open to others?

In any case, it is a question of degrees and specifics. If your door is open, he most certainly and reasonably can open the door to deliver the package, and I think there is little question about that. Once inside, I think many police officers would think it reasonable (if odd) if he used your toliet, assuming he had the need. With no pre-established relationship between you and your deliveryman, I can't see him turning on the TV (unless, say, it were the morning of Sept. 11th, as a special case), much less opening or using the contents of the fridge. The latter just aren't reasonable, while the first are, and quite within what a reasonable person might suspect was OK.

  Forget anything that
he uses inside, water, toilet paper, electricity, whatever.  That is a clear
trespass.

He can use the toliet, flush it, and turn the light on. None of this is trespass.

   Even if that were the case, that if you neglected to secure your
premises, once would be allowed to make reasonable use of your property,
that assumes a situation where it is common knowledge and just plain common
sense, that if you want someone to stay out of your home, you should lock
it.  AP are different because, there is no such common knowledge, or common
sense.  Yes, to you and I, it might seem so, but the truth is, the general
public isn't aware.

This is a reasonable point, but on the other hand, I would argue that general ignorance is not equal to "reasonable consensus on what is acceptable." Ignorance -- even when common -- is not a defense, and if your argument were to prevail, everyone in the world could run insecure servers and service and incur no responsibility.

As well, "common sense" is not quite the argument. Your argument comes off as "if you want to keep robbers out, you'd better use a good lock," which is a practical question. The question at issue is not security measures -- it is providing notice. And I'm saying that to your "common sense" argument there is, at the very least, a countervaling legal (and moral) argument that says that a property owner takes on responsibilities when acquiring a piece of property, and among them there is a responsibility to give reasonable notice if you don't want a piece of property open to the public, and that (to switch examples) if 99% of the people out there didn't even think that they needed to put a sign or fence around their pool, the Court wouldn't give a darn.

   According to the Cabin analogy, if it is left open, can I use anything I
want.

No, no, no, no, I simply did not say this. I said you can make reasonable, non-destructive use.

 Can I use the TV and your electricity (assuming the place has
electricity)  What about eating the food and using the supplies.  Obviously
if the pantry and linen closet is not locked, I could use those things as
well, correct?

We've mostly covered this before, as did my first post. If you stumble into a house in San Fransisco, I don't think making your way into the linen closet is going to be reasonable. If you stumble your way into an unsecured cabin the remote South Dakota mountains, and there are linens, I think it is reasonable to use them, presuming that you wash them and leave them in reasonably similar condition.

   And how exactly do you figure that an AP is "a resource.. ("naturally")
open to the public"  I think that needs a little explanation.

Hmmm... seems pretty bloody obvious to me that it is naturally open to the public: a property owner hooks it up, any appropriate radio card that stumbles into range intercommunicates with it, pretty darn natually open.

Your argument boils down to saying that (a) because an AP owner is too negligent/lazy/stupid/common to secure the AP, and because so many other owners are negligent, (b) we should default to assuming that all AP owners do not want access. From (a) to (b) is quite a leap -- in fact, it seems mired in your contention/prejudice that an AP owner (if she or he were not so ignorant) would want to secure the AP, a prejudice which has little factual support much less legal standing -- and in fact, I can't see how you could create positive factual support for your position could be created without making AP owners aware that their boxes are either open or not, quite clearly making them responsible for the administration of their property.

In the end, from my point of view your position seems that the poor AP owner should have the convenience of not even having to bother about the security of his or her network and how it may be open to others, and that pure ignorance should become an excuse for not taking reasonable caution. That truly is a slippery slope and a quite frightening one -- how far do we have to go until creating public nuisances (open pits, unrepaired roofing, etc) is excusable by common ignorance -- until keeping your brakes in bad repair is excusable by common ignorance -- until belching radioactive isotopes in the air is excusable...

"Common sense" and "common negligence" are simply not the same thing, securing an AP (if the owner wishes) is not that high a hurdle to jump if you don't want people making incidental use of it.

Cheers,

Ken

Thanx
Michael

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kenneth Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Cc: "Fred H. Schlesinger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 3:29 PM Subject: [nycwireless] Legality/morality of use of unsecured APs [WAS: Goal...]