From: "Ruben Rivera" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2003 10:47 AM
Subject: [nycwireless] wi-fi newbie question

Ok I’ve finally jumped on the wi-fi train but it ain’t moving. I just
purchased a Linksys BEFW11S4 ap router and a Netgear wireless card for my
laptop. In a matter of minutes I was up and running with a 100% signal
strength. Of course my laptop was only 13 inches away from the AP. Once I
started to move away for the AP is when the problems started. At 5 ft the
signal strength went down to 80%. At 8 ft it was a wimpy 40%. Both distances
had direct line of site. Once I turn the corner to the next room at about 10
ft the signal was lost completely. I tried playing around with the antenna
and although it helped some it didn’t do that much. I also tried 3 –4
different channels but that didn’t work either.

Did I buy a garbage AP and wi-fi card or is there something else I can do to
enjoy surfing the web from my couch?

Ruben