Hmmm...I seemed to have stomped out the problem on my Orinocos.  It seems
that the poorly written lucent drivers did a a number on
Netstumbler, and NS was not sufficiently updated to give a stable
response (Remember that the latest NS is still a 0.3.30 "beta" release
from '02 and even on a stable and well supported card it is unstable at
its best).  I turned off the automatic configuration option in NS,
rebooted the machine, reinit NS and it works fine now.  Oh well, I guess
you would usually NOT want to run NS for too long.  Active snooping for
hours can show up in logs of certain APs, and you don't want that.

Anyways, it also seems that certain firmware in Orinoco
cards don't like to play nice with NS.  7.52, 6.06 and 8.10 comes in mind.
If you run NS you should use 6.16 (Kismet recommended best firmware) or
8.72 (Works fine in Kismet and NS in Win2K).

Oh, does anyone know of a way to ascertain whether a cantenna is working
as advertised or not?  I made a cantenna out of a Campbell's "Chunky
Soup" can with an LMR-100 pigtail from FabCorp and a standard 4 post
N-connector.  So far I cannot tell whether it is working as it should, or
that it still needs tuning.  What is a nice, scientific way to measure
improvement in antenna gain?  Also, what do most people use to bond the
connector to the can itself?  I just used 4 screws.  Should they be
soldered on or capped with nuts?